A flavour of life at Chesterton
- It was a privilege to be invited to the Science Museum in London on Monday evening, due to the work of Dr Timney in the science department and his Robotics’ Club who have been nominated as finalists for next year’s Rolls Royce Science Prize. This is a highly prestigious nomination with thousands of schools competing. At the event we met Tim Smit, of Eden project fame, who we invited to come and talk in school: watch this space.
- Visited St Lawrence’s and Arbury Primary school this week, as I continue to get to know our Feeder primary schools. Delightful welcome from all the students and teachers; they really are lovely schools and it was great to be able to speak with ex-students, now in Year 7, who were fascinated to hear news of their former schools.
- I had a visit from Anne Bailey who works for the Cambridge Area Partnership, as we are seeking to link every Faculty to a business. This is a chance to develop real-life links for students, where employers would set up projects; give talks; mentor students etc. If you know of anyone or might be interested in a possible link, please do get in touch.
- First Pastoral Committee meeting this week for the governing body. We’ve added a new committee to focus on issues such as healthy schools; the PSE curriculum and student well-being. Really good first meeting, where we planned future agendas and had a really interesting report from Pete Watts – Senior Head of House – about the beginnings of Vertical Tutoring and the house system.
- Y7 Meet the Tutor evening was very well attended and it was a pleasure to talk with so many happy parents and students. At the meeting we had parent governors who were willing to explain their role and recruit for the forthcoming parent governor elections. Certainly an interesting opportunity and a great way of getting to know your child’s school.
- Our amazing new toilets in the science block were opened this week: an official red ribbon opening by Dr Hinshelwood’s Y7 tutor group. They really are of hotel standard!
- The SLT has been looking at a recent survey completed by Chesterton teaching staff about how we seek further to develop our learning and teaching, building on the excellent Ofsted and ensuring that we are outstanding next time! If you’d like to hear more we have our “Outstanding at Chesterton” evening on Thursday November 14th.
- The SLT have been worrying about quiz questions all week, for the PTA annual quiz, with Mr Brown and Mr Erickson locked away devising difficult questions often focused on the obscure life stories of staff. It will be interesting to see who wins.